Spencer Rascoff is the CEO for Zillow Group. Many real estate professionals have a healthy dislike, and sometimes fear, of Zillow and Rascoff’s tactics.
At Path & Post, we understand and appreciate Zillow’s position in the real estate marketplace. Zillow is often the first place consumers go when they start thinking about a real estate transaction, whether that’s buying or selling a home.
We are proud to be Premier Agents on Zillow with a 5 Star Service Rating from our past clients.
Rascoff sat down with Fortune for an interview and here are his top five pieces of advice for home buyers and sellers this season:
1. You need a real estate agent, regardless of whether you’re a buyer or a seller. “It’s an infrequent, emotional, complex transaction,” says Rascoff. “Having a great person at your side can be really valuable.”
2. Rascoff recommends “minimal renovation” for sellers. He says a fresh coat of paint and removing clutter should do the trick, but warns, “do not launch in that full kitchen remodel.”
3. Get pre-approved for a home loan if you are a buyer. “A lot of sellers are very interested not just in price, but certainty,” he says.
4. Beware of hidden costs. Before making a bid, find out about maintenance costs, homeowners’ association dues, and property taxes.
5. The best time to list a home for sale is in early May, while Rascoff says the best time to buy is during late summer.